Friday, June 30, 2017

Barbara and Susan's Guide to the Empty Nest

I'm a mother of 2 teenagers, one is on the way to college while the other is in high school.  The nest is not yet empty, but it will be in a few years.  This book is a great way to look ahead with hope toward the next chapter of my life.

This quote sums up the life of a mother, "The job of mother became not just what we did, but who we were.  Like leather gloves that get softer and conform to the shape of our hands through years of wear, we grew so accustomed to our role that we became....comfortable.  We fit the role and the role fit us." (page 132).  This is exactly how I feel about my role as mother, but I know those comfortable gloves will soon be coming off.  I need to prepare and be ready for the time when my children are gone and become parents themselves.

I was grateful to read this revised copy of this book as I look ahead to my future as an empty-nester.  Bethany House provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment