Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Traces of Guilt

Evie Blackwell is a great detective and took her vacation time to look into a few cold cases in Carin County, Illinois.  She is helped by the Thane family especially Gabriel Thane who follows in his father's footsteps as sheriff of the small community.  The cases seem unsolvable, but Evie find things no one else seems to find.

I have enjoyed books by Dee Henderson especially the O'Malley series.  This book reminds of those books with suspense, drama, and mystery and a close knit family involved in it all.  This book, however, was not as good as I had hoped.  The Thane brothers are just too perfect and handsome and nice.  Even Evie and the other female characters are good looking with good jobs.  It's just too perfect and one-dimensional.

I could have put up with the great lives everyone had if the mystery was good, but even that left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  I won't give away the ending, but the mystery is not solved until the last 10 pages of the book.  And it wasn't worth the wait.

Overall, the writing is good and the book is easy to read, but the story had a lot to be desired.

Bethany House provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment