Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Plain Choice

I was fascinated with a story about someone becoming Amish instead of someone leaving the Amish community.  It was role reversal.  Initially, I enjoyed reading about Sherry Gore conversion from living as an Englisher to becoming Amish.

As I was reading, I expected the author to share her spiritual awakening.  Sherry does get baptized and has a heartfelt conversion to her faith.  However, she believes in the maxim "God does for those who do for themselves".  This really bothered me because many people think this is a Biblical passage, but it is not.  It is also not based on the teachings of the Bible.  It is a man-made, man enforced phrase.  

I also did not understand why Sherry continued to move around and piecemeal her belief system based on her life experiences, instead of the Bible.  I struggled to even understand why she became Amish.

Zondervan provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment