Monday, February 23, 2015

Esther: Royal Beauty

I love the book of Esther and was excited to read and review this book.

The story has suspense and drama with romance and intrigue.  It is great story, and Angela Hunt maintained the integrity of this Biblical book while also providing context and cultural references.  She adds to the story to help the reader understand the culture in which Esther lived.  She does not change the Biblical story or add unnecessary elements.

My only issue with this book was the pace of the story.  Since I know the Bible story, I know that Haman is the villain and would be introduced into the storyline.  However, I was halfway through the book when I realized that he had yet to appear.  It was on page 255 that Haman doesappear, and the story then picked up as it rushed to the end.  I do not know if it was because of editing or writing, but I felt like the first half of the book was slow and methodical while the last half was fast and rushed.

Overall, I liked the book and would recommend it to a friend.

Bethany House provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment