Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Bonhoeffer: Abridged

I wanted to read the original Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy; however, I did not get a chance to get a review copy.  When I saw this abridged edition was available, I was excited to read the book.

Bonhoeffer was an amazing man who lived an upright life in a challenging time.  This book provides a good synopsis of his life and of his involvement in the conspiracy to overthrow Hitler and the Third Reich.  Bonhoeffer is an inspiring person who did not succumb to evil or fall into the trap of moral pacifism, but instead he overcame evil with good.

I am glad I was able to read this abridged edition.  I did have a hard time following some of the history as it is from the German perspective.  While this is much needed to understand the context of Bonhoeffer's life, I struggled to remembered names and places.  I still am impressed by the courage and faith of Bonhoeffer and hope that more men like him will continue to stand for truth.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment