Thursday, June 26, 2014

Appalachian Serenade

Delilah Morrissey wanted out of small town West Virginia in the 1930's, and marriage was her way out.  Instead of freedom, she was stuck in a bad marriage.  Her husband died and left her with a huge debt.  She had to move back to West Virginia and into the small home of her sister and brother-in-law.  Delilah wants to earn her keep and finds a job at the local store.  Of course in this historical romance, the storekeeper is a widowed man who notices the wonderful qualities in Delilah that make her a keeper, in more ways than one.

Since I live in West Virginia, I was interested in how the setting would tie into the story and how the locals would be portrayed.  I was pleasantly surprised that the characters were smart and hard-working. Often, we are portrayed as a bunch of hillbillies making moonshine.  The economy of this fictitious area depended on railway and on lumber.  Once again, I was surprised that coal was not the predominant industry, but it was not our only industry.

Overall, this was a nice book with a nice story.

Bethany House provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment