Thursday, May 8, 2014

Get Your Teenager Talking

Talking to teenagers is like running on a treadmill.  It's a lot of work, and yet you are not getting anywhere.  I have done this too many times, and am glad to have some helpful advice to encourage meaningful conversations.

As I read through these ideas, some were funny while some were thought-provoking.  There really is something for everyone.  However, I wanted to make sure that these ideas worked so I gave them a try.  I had a 2 hour drive to a sporting event with my 15 year old son and his 2 friends.  When there was a lull in the conversation, I asked a question from the book.  The boys responded and were excited to talk about their favorite food, celebrity crush, etc.  What was even more amazing was that one of the boys started asking his own questions similar to the ones from the book.

After we got home, my son saw this book on my nightstand and teased me that I am often reading books on parenting teenagers.  I told him that this one worked because I had used it on the car ride.  He was shocked as he had no idea that I was using questions directly from this book.

Bethany House provided me a free copy of the book in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment