Friday, May 16, 2014

Blind Descent

Climbing the highest peak in the world is not easy, and getting back down can be just as challenging.  What happened to Brian Dickinson is even more challenging as he sumitted alone and then went blind due to photokeratitis, otherwise known as snow blindness.  Climbing back down became almost insurmountable, but Brian used his skills as a mountain climber and training in the U.S. Navy to help him return home.

This was an interesting story and amazing in content; however, I was surprised that I almost at the end of the book before Brian reached the summit and became blind.  On my ebook, I was 75% into the book when this happened.  I thought the book would be more about descending blind, as per the title.  Instead it was more of a story about man who loved his family and love the adventure of climbing mountains.

Aside from the book, I am surprised that Brian decided to summit alone knowing all the risks he would be taking.  He also broke his UV goggles prior to summitting and still continued to climb knowing that snow blindness would occur when eyes are exposed to the sunlight at such high altitudes.  He spoke often of avoiding risks and being willing to not summit if the risks were too great.  Yet, that is exactly what he did.  I am not sure I understand why even after reading this book.

Tyndale House provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment