Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Lost & Found

I am not familiar with the ministry of T.D. Jakes, but I am familiar with ministries where the children of prominent ministers go astray.  So I was interested in reading this book about the daughter of a great pastor and her struggles to find her own way in life.  I was also interested, as a mother of teenagers, to glean inspiration on how to better parent them.

Sarah Jakes lived a life contrary to her upbringing which included teenage pregnancy, flunking out of college, and divorce by the time she was in her early twenties.  She has certainly endured a lot in her short life which she admittedly brought on by her own bad choices.  She does have a higher level of understanding into the psyche of why she did what she did; however she did not change her ways and continued on her path of destruction.

The book ended, yet I don't think the story was finished.  It does not seem that Sarah Jakes has comprehended fully her past and how God has redeemed it.  The book just ended with a divorce and a new career path in her parents' ministry, the same ministry she wanted to excape.  However, I don't know if the lessons were learned and the past was overcome.  She just set herself on a new path.  The story is more about self-actualization and less about God's redemption.

Bethany House provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment