Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Daniel Plan

This book reminds me of Ecclesiastes..."there is nothing new under the sun."  There really is nothing new about trying to live a healthier life.  It really is the same old stuff we have heard for years.  We need to eat less and move more.  We do better when we have accountability.  Even the faith element is not new to the idea of healthy living.  First Place Bible studies have taught this idea for years.

What I did like about this book is taking the focus off of a diet and focusing on a healthier life.  The first 70+ pages talk about faith and making sure your heart is set on the truth.  So I was pleased with the book until I started reading the second section on food.  That is where the book started to really bother me.

The author promotes more than just making better choices and reducing serving size.  In addition to this, we are told to embrace beans and nuts, kale and grape seed oil, and seeds of all kinds (chia, hemp, pumpkin, etc.).  Some of these foods are hard to find in non-urban areas, and some of these foods, I just don't like.  The author also warned us about foods such as grapes and dried fruit which have high sugar content.  The focus was to maintain a low glycemic index.  While I agree the importance of reducing our sugar intake, not everyone is pre-diabetic.

The chapters on fitness were a lot less challenging than the chapters on food.  It was not a mandate to become a marathon runner.  Instead is was encouragement to get some activity, and find a way to enjoy it.  This was not the same tone as the chapter on food.  It seemed like the different author wrote different sections of the book.  So the author who wrote about fitness was not as militant as the author who wrote about food.

If this book helps someone become more healthy, than the book is worth it.  As a generally healthy person myself, I found the book to be more of the same.  There really is nothing new here.  Just the same advice we have already heard.  Being healthy is not about education.  We already know all this. What we need is what Nike has been telling us for years, "Just do it!"

Zondervan provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.


No comments:

Post a Comment