Monday, December 2, 2013

Dear Mr. Knightley

I thoroughly enjoyed this book with the unique first person storytelling and the many characters intertwined throughout the story.

Sam is an orphan girl who has is trying to make her way in today's culture.  She knows her upbringing was lacking and used books to understand human nature.  Books were her escape, but she also learned to hide behind these characters.  Only when she learns to be her true self can she fully mature and become the woman she is suppose to be.

I am not a reader of British literature so many of the books and characters (Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and The Scarlet Pimpernel) were unknown to me.  I was still able to follow the story line and noticed that as Sam matured, she used her characters less and less.  However, she never had to leave her great books behind as that was one of the few good memories she has of her childhood.

What I most liked about the book was how the story was told through one-sided letters.  I was able to figure out who Mr. Knightley was but only a few pages before he was revealed.  The book was charming and enjoyable.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment