Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Robert Griffin III: Athlete, Leader, Believer

I have read many football biographies and enjoy reading their stories of those great athletes.  So I was excited when this book came in the mail.  Unfortunately, this book was disappointing.

I was expecting more personal information about RG3.  Instead it was more about the league itself during the 2012 season.  RG3 was not the only rookie quarterback profiled as much print was given to Andrew Luck.  A lot was also written about Michael Vick as he was returning to football during the 2012 season.  So this book was more about the season than about just one young QB.

I think I knew this book was going to disappoint me when I read about RG3 choice of Baylor.  The author did not know why he chose this non-powerhouse school stating, "We may never know."  I wondered why the author did not just ask Griffin why.  So as I read the book, I noticed never did the author interact with Griffin in order to write this biography.  Instead he reviewed game film, interview transcripts, and league stats.

The book will be interesting to anyone who enjoys the minutia of a football season but it is not a book profiling Griffin's rise to the ranks of an NFL starter.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment