Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Afloat

I usually enjoy diving into a good work of fiction.  Unfortunately, I felt like I was drowning while reading this book.  (Yes, puns intended!)

The story is about a single mom who is trying to do her best to raise her son alone.  She lives in an apartment on the water, literally built on floats.

The story is also about a man who is building these floating apartments.  He is struggling to face his own demons of alcoholism and family dysfunction.

The apartment experiences catastrophic damage, the river rises, and the people are stranded.  Communication is down, electricity is off, and the water is potentially hazardous.

The plot sounds exciting enough; however, the first half of the book takes place on just one day.  There were too many characters with their own issues thrown together in the life or death experience.  There was also some sort of supernatural occurrences, but the reader was never sure what was real and what was fake.

Overall, it was just too much fantasy for me to make this story realistic.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment