Wednesday, April 3, 2013

When Jesus Wept

I have previously read novels by the Thoene's and have enjoyed their work.  However, this latest book was not to my liking.

In the genre of Biblical fiction, I understand that the novel will add more to the Biblical story.  Providing additional dialogue and action is necessary to character development and to develop a story line.  Yet, I do not agree with some of the threads of this story.  One that really bothered me was that Mary, the sister of Lazarus, is Mary Magdalene.  There are many people named Mary who are part of the gospel story, but I am not sure that Mary Magdalene is the same as Mary, sister of Lazarus.

Another thing that bothered me about this book was the character of Martha.  I have often identified with her character in the Bible as I, too, am a servant who works hard and sometimes forget to just sit and listen to what God is telling me.  In this book, her character is never developed.  She is just the dutiful sister of Lazarus who continues to serve and do the hard work necessary to maintain a household.  For as much attention is given to Mary, Martha continues to be overlooked.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment