Saturday, December 1, 2012

Deep & Wide

As a churched person, I never noticed what church looks like to an unchurched person.  I grew up in church.  I attended church throughout my life as an adult.  I love the church; however, this book opened my eyes to see what others see when they visit church.  I am even observing my church from a fresh perspective to see what we look like to a first time attender.

Andy Stanley is a pastor who grew up a preacher's kid, and he knows how to do church.  He also has a passion for those who do not know how to do church and tries to create an environment that is inviting to believers, unbelievers, maybe-believers, and those who just are not sure.

While I anticipated a staunchy book about church, I was pleasantly surprised by the writing.  Stanley is funny, self-depreciating, honest, and incredibly insightful.  All of this makes for an enjoyable book that made me uncomfortable at times, but in a good way.

Zondervan provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, Andy Stanley is a wonderful teacher of the Word! I have followed his father for a decade and have been so transformed by his teachings!

    Two things, wanted to stop by and say Merry Christmas! I'm actually in the middle of moving and knew I better send my wishes early as I'll be in boxes over most of the holidays! :O

    I just launched my newest book and, although I know how brutally honest you are ;), I wanted to see if I could send you a free ebook, Kindle copy of the book for review?? Below is the link to see if it would be something you're interested in reading. :) If not I completely understand! ;)

    Just send me the email address you want the ebook sent to . . . email me at: cheriehillemail(at)yahoo.com

    Hoping you have a wonderful Christmas with your family!
    Blessings,
    Cherie

    http://www.amazon.com/empty-Living-Faith-Drains-ebook/dp/B00AGYXL6A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354626732&sr=8-2&keywords=empty+cherie+hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you, too! I look forward to reading your book(s)!

    ReplyDelete