Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Rudy: My Story

It has been 20+ years since I saw the movie, Rudy, but the story is unforgettable.  This book relates the back story, the real story, and then the after story of the movie.

If you have seen the movie, this book is a great compliment to the story.  Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger shares what happened before he got into Notre Dame, what happened while he was there, and his life since.  Getting the movie made was as much of a dream as playing for Notre Dame, and it took longer to realize the dream of making the movie.

If you have not seen the movie, where have you been?  You need to see the movie and then read this book.  For once, I recommend seeing the movie first to better understand the book.

This book is good but falls just short of great for me.  I might be picky, but I was not satisfied with the faith element.  Rudy's life was a series of dreams that he worked hard to achieve.  Each time, it was about doing more and being more in order to reach his goal.  God was more of an afterthought.  It might be just me, but I did not feel that God was leading Rudy, but that Rudy was asking God to be with him as he worked to achieve his dreams.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment