Saturday, September 1, 2012

To Love and Cherish

I did not understand the character of Melinda.  She is a strong young women who must leave her life of affluence when her parents die.  She becomes a lady's maid and must endure the life of a servant.  She does this with courage and grace and is a model servant.  However, when she falls in love with Evan she becomes a whiny, petulant child who wants to get her way no matter what Evan says.  Even when the local pastor tries to encourage Melinda to wait and pray, she ignores his advice and continues to try to control the situation.  It was very frustrating to read as nothing seemed to change as the story line dragged on.

The first half of the book was painstakingly slow.  I almost gave up reading the book.  I had to finish reading in order to write a thorough review.  So I kept on reading.  The pace of the story line picked up, and I started to enjoy it.  The second half of the book was so much better than the first half.  I am glad I stuck with it, but I did not like having to plod through so much useless story line to get to good stuff.

In the second half the book, the story was interesting and fun to read.  There was drama, suspense, romance, and intrigue.  If I could have just read the end without having to get through the beginning, I would have enjoyed this book.

Bethany House provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment