Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Gentle Giant of Dynamite Hill

The daughters of civil rights attorney, Arthur Shores, share their story of growing up in Birmingham, Alabama, at the height of the civil rights movement.  Their story is compelling, and nothing can compare to the life they lived.  Growing up, death threats and bombs were part of their life.  Fighting for equal rights in the deep south did not happen without struggle and sacrifice.  The Shore family are the unsung heroes of the movement.

My understanding of the civil rights movement is limited to just a few highlights such as Jim Crow, Brown v. Board of Education, and Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream..."  This book gave me more of the back story.  I had a hard time following some of the details as the book is not in chronological order.  However, it is not as much as a history book as it is a memoir of the Shores family.  No one should have to endure what the Shores family endured, and many people today enjoy freedoms and rights thanks to this family.

Zondervan provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment