Sunday, September 9, 2012

Men of Sunday

I was expecting a more exciting book about an exciting sport; however, this was more about the people behind the excitement and how their lives are really not much different than mine.  They struggle; they fail; they have to start over; and they are trying to honor God in all they do.  It was refreshing to read about  athletes who are not full of themselves but realize that there is someone greater.

I most connected with the chapter "Family Sacrifices."  It was the stories about the wives and loss of identity that touched me.  They had to give up careers, dreams, and hometowns to follow their husband play the sport he loves.  It is not easy, no matter how much money they make.  As you read into the book, you realize that all the money they make does not buy job security or even an easy retirement.  Football players struggle once they leave the sport, even if it is by choice.  I have a new appreciation for these athletes.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment