Sunday, September 30, 2012

Deployed

On the good side, the story is well written.  Character development is solid.  Drama unfolds with plenty of action and suspense.

On the bad side, I have an issue with the main character, Lance Corporal Bekah Shaw.  She is a Marine reservist who is returning to action on her third deployment in as many years.  Bekah is divorced from her husband who was never fit to be married in the first place.  Bekah also must leave her young son in the care of her grandmother who also helped raise her.   Bekah struggles with leaving her son behind but is courageous enough to serve her country.  So far, the character is believable and almost admirable.  However, once she starts to see action in a war zone, the character becomes less believable.

Women in the military do not serve in combat units on the front line of battle.  Even in today's military, a women would not be a fire team leader in charge of small unit attack.  I know this because I served in the military, and my husband continues to serve.  So I take offense to a story that stretches the truth to the point of a lie.  If the main character was a man, a single dad who struggled with leaving a child behind, then this story would have been great.  But since the main character is a women, this story is just too unrealistic to be enjoyable.

Tyndale House provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your honest thoughts and the review. Hope you have a wonderful week! :O)

    ReplyDelete