Sunday, July 8, 2012

Coming Home

Supposedly, this book is a stand alone novel, but really it is the final installment of the 23 book series about the Baxter and Flanigan families.  It is the culmination and summation of the many stories intertwined in these books.

Some reviewers did not like the first 10 chapters which summarized the lives of the characters from the previous books.  However, I liked the refresher as I did not remember all the many details of the numerous story lines.  I needed the review and was glad for it.

What I did not like was the characterization of Candy, the birth mother of 3 of the children adopted by Sam and Erin, the youngest Baxter daughter.  Candy is a convicted felon who is released from prison after serving her time.  Erin and the rest of the Baxter family viewed Candy as evil and unfit to be a mother.  For as loving as they are to each other, they were condemning and judging of Candy.  It seems that the Baxter family is loving and kind as long as you are one of them but critical and unforgiving if you are not.  Not once did the Baxter ever pray for Candy like they prayed for each other or for those they loved.

Zondervan provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.


No comments:

Post a Comment