Thursday, June 21, 2012

Starring Me


This book was the epitome of teen check lit with too-good-to-be-true characters and a happily ever after storyline.

With so much fluff and fantasy, it was hard to relate to this story.  Chad is a teen singer after rising to fame on a reality show.  He is well-grounded and agrees with his parents' desire to pick his next female co-star.  In walks Kara who also is well-grounded and comes from a good home.  Although not a Christian like Chad, she is a good girl who just wants to make it big in show business without compromising herself.  I do like all the goodness within the story and the desire to be good.  However, this is not reality.

Surprisingly, the faith aspect of the storyline is well done.  The character of Kara struggles to first believe in God and then believing God loves her individually.  I appreciate that her struggle is weaved into the storyline and is not some forced or contrived scene within the book.  Her faith came about naturally with friends encouraging her and life challenging her.

Thomas Nelson has provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diane,
    I have just started reviewing with BookSneeze (and just finished this title, getting ready to write my review). I completely agree with your review and I have a related question for you. My novel just received a starred review on Kirkus and I wondered if you would be willing to read/review it? It's a love story, set in Ireland. Themes are forgiveness and redemption. It's called Where the Pink Houses Are. I couldn't find a way to reach you other than the comments section. I'd love to send you a copy of my book if you're interested. If so, please email me at reb@rebekahruthbooks.com.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete