Friday, May 4, 2012

Momaholic: Crazy Confessions of a Helicopter Parent

I was gladly mistaken when I read this book.  I thought it would be a tongue-in-chin book about a mom who made many mistakes as a parent and learned to laugh about it.  It is that but so much more. It is a story about a woman who has it all and still does not always have it all together.

Dena Higley has a life most women dream of.  She is a successful writer for TV; she has 4 children (2 biological and 2 adopted); she missed only 1 choir performance when she was traveling with her job; and she is happily married for 25+ years.  She has the perfect life.  She has the life I wish I had.  She has it all; great job, great family, great faith.  So why does she down a bottle of vodka and end up in the ER?  Why, indeed!

As Dena shares her ups and her many downs, I realize that having it all does not make life easier or more fulfilling.  No matter the social class, financial status, or family make-up, being a mom is hard.  We are all a work in progress.  Admitting the true of our struggle frees us to be better moms.  Not moms who do more but moms who try, make mistakes, get back up, and try again.

My favorite line is one that I have thought many times, "It still amazes me that I can be right so many times with my kids and they still treat me like I don't know what the heck I am talking about."  I laughed that she actually said this, yet I felt a sense of relief that I was not the only one who felt this way.

There is some mention of faith and prayer, yet Dena does not talk much about it.  I wish more time and space was given to her faith.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment