Saturday, May 5, 2012

Here's Lily


I was pleasantly surprised when I finished reading this charming little book.  I had high expectations at the beginning.  In the middle, I was slightly annoyed at some of the characters and their behavior.  By the end, these characters redeemed themselves.  All in all, it was a nice little story.

I requested this book to review from Thomas Nelson so that my 10 year old daughter could read it, too.   Lily is a young girl who does not realize the beauty that is within her.  As she goes through modeling classes, she learns how to be beautiful but loses her focus on where that beauty comes from.  After an accident that wounds her face, she learns where that beauty comes from.  She develops not self-confidence but God-confidence.

Why I was getting annoyed was that Lily's was often teased by her whole family.  The accident opened their eyes to their negative behavior, and even her mom apologized and promised to change.  I was relieved at this point in the book because I thought the author was making this pattern of behavior normal and acceptable.  While teasing is normal in a family, including mine, the author uses teasing as part of the storyline to help the family change.

My favorite line that I hope I remember is "When you're not thinking so much about yourself, you tend to move more gracefully.  It's self-consciousness that makes us trip over things."  So true!  I am glad to share this book with my daughter.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment