Thursday, May 24, 2012

Father Hunger

Even though I am not a father, I did get a lot out of this book.  It was controversial in places, but I agreed with the premise and understood the arguments presented within this book.

The fatherlessness that is rampant is America has taken its toll.  The Christian church is not immune to the problems of absent, both physically and mentally, fathers.  However, the church is somewhat ignorant of the issue, or the problem is so overwhelming that it is easier to deal with the symptoms than the root cause.  This book encourages all of us to face the root cause of fatherlessness and be proactive about helping fathers be the men they are suppose to be.

As a wife and mother, this book helped me better understand the men in my life.  I did not realize the dichotomy of masculinity.  The author states, "Masculinity thrives on the right kind of discipline, but masculinity also kicks at it.  Masculinity thrives on the right kind of work, but it also loves to be lazy." Those words were my ah-ha moment.  I get it now, and I understand why my husband and son struggle to be the men they truly want to be.

I highly recommend this book not just to men but also to everyone who wants to see our culture return to the priority of family.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment