Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Redemption


With brutal honestly and incredible candor, Bryan Clay tells his story of his unlikely career as a world class decathlete.

You know from the very beginning that Bryan wins gold at the 2008 Olympics so there is no surprise ending. What the reader does not know is the hard fought path Bryan took to get there. He was an unlikely decathlete. He did not grow up competing in track and field. He had a tough upbringing and a bad attitude. Only after trial and error and more trial and error, did Bryan commit to becoming an athlete who could compete at the national and international levels.

The real hero of this story is Bryan's mother who faithfully prayed for her son. She had hope when he did not. She had faith as small as a mustard seed, but it was more than enough.

The one take away I got from this book was the lesson Bryan learned while competing. God did not expect him to be perfect, only to try his best. That is exactly what I try to teach my children, and even remind myself when I think I am suppose to be perfect. A decathlon is a great metaphor for life. There are a lot of events that require many strengths and skills. It takes hard work, but not perfection. It requires the best we have without dwelling on past failures. Your best really is enough when you give it to God.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment