Saturday, April 7, 2012

Loving

I read this book because it is the last book in the Bailey Flanigan series, and I am the kind of person who finishes what I start. That being said, I am glad this is the final book I have to read as I am tired of reading the perfect life of Bailey Flanigan where her only struggle is how to deal with the fame of having a Hollywood actor for a boyfriend. That is a struggle I cannot relate to. Everything else about her life is just too perfect.

The character of Bailey is unrealistic. She lives a charmed life with a stable family background and a successful career. She is so talented that she has danced on Broadway and also starred in a major motion picture. With all this success and being in the center of the spotlight, she is still humble and innocent. Money is never an issue especially since her boyfriend is a millionaire with a successful career in acting. She is also a virgin who saves herself for marriage. All her boyfriends seem to respect her wishes and never push her into a tempting situation.

The character of Brandon finally develops in this book. He was so perfect and one-dimensional in the first 3 books of the series. He finally has a back story with real struggles and fears, but even that is short lived as he becomes the perfect boyfriend to Bailey with not residual struggle with fighting physical temptation. He admits to a sexual experience at the age of 17 and a party boy life in his early acting days. However, once he became a Christian, he never partook in the partying lifestyle again even though it was all around him while living in LA. As a boyfriend, Brandon is always surprising Bailey with showing up at her house unexpectedly or doing amazing things for her such as renting an island for their honeymoon. I would not like my daughter to read these books as she will develop unrealistic expectations about how a man spoils a woman.

I am also disenchanted with how many books Karen Kingsbury is producing in such a short period of time. I admit that I have read all her books. I first started reading her stand-alone books and then the Redemption when it first appeared. Since then, there have been 22 books either about the Baxter family or a spin-off in addition to many other stand alone books. She has become a factory pushing out books too quickly lacking depth and realistic expectations.

Zondervan has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment