Monday, March 5, 2012

God Loves Broken People


I had mixed feelings about this book. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing Sheila Walsh speak at a recent Women of Faith conference so I was excited to read her latest book. As I read this book, I could hear her speak the words with her Scottish accent and the delightful lilt of her voice. She is a wise woman who is not afraid to speak the truth, God's truth.

What I did not like about the book was that it was not clear and concise in its message. I had a hard time following the author's train of thought. She quoted many Bible stories as well as other works as it applied to her story, but it was just too many. We read about Ruth and Moses and Paul and Jesus. Then there are stories from John Piper, C.S. Lewis, Corrie Ten Boom, Dr. Henry Cloud, Steve Brown, and Brennan Manning, and that was in just the first half of the book. It was just too much. The book was too chaotic and hard to follow. In her defense, the author stated in the introduction that as much as she invested in the beliefs she writes in this book, it is not "buttoned-down and tidy." So I have to admit that I was forewarned.

There were some great passages about living through trials; about God's fierce love; and about choosing how you respond to suffering. I did like bits and pieces of this book, but as a whole, it was not what I had hoped.

There were a few typos and grammatical errors that struck me as odd. Usually Thomas Nelson books lack editing problems. There is also the misnomer that the Lance Armstrong armbands say "Just Do It" when in fact, the slogan is "Livestrong." I would have assumed an editor would catch this mistake.

I did not dislike this book, but I did not like it either.

Maybe if I had read this book in the midst of depression or trial, it probably could have encouraged me. I still believe Sheila Walsh is a wise woman and a great speaker even though this book seemed as broken as the title.

Thomas Nelson has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting such an honest review! I have mixed feelings about Sheila, but must admit I have never read any of her books. I feel as though I would have similar thoughts to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first book I have read by Sheila Walsh. I wonder if her other books might be worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just heard her for the first time on Focus on the Family a couple of weeks ago. I ordered her book Honestly which appears to be a good book. I also enjoyed hearing her speak on the program and appreciated her transparency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info. I might give another book a try as I know she is a fantastic speaker.

    ReplyDelete