Friday, February 24, 2012

The Maid of Fairbourne Hall

I am not one to read historical fiction, but this book was offered to me from Bethany House, and I thought I would give it a chance. It was an easy read albeit long (400+ pages). It kept my interest with many characters and many twists and turns in the storyline.

The story is set in England during the 1800's. Margaret Macy is a young socialite who is a few months shy of her 25th birthday. On her birthday, she will receive a sizeable inheritance from her aunt. She is being pursued by a man and his son as they try to get to her money. Unfortunately, this man is her step-father, and the son is her step-brother. Margaret escapes and becomes a maid to hide from them. In a interesting turn of events, she is a maid in the home of a man who once proposed to her and his brother who she pursued.

From the brief synopsis, you can see that there is a lot to the story. In some ways, it reads like a soap opera without the smut. There is love and murder, drama and suspense, honor is threatened and restored. Some of the action seems unbelievable and too coincidental, but the characters are believalbe. I can envision a sequel as there are more stories left to tell.

Bethany House has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, sorry to rain on your parade. :[ I was truly hoping for it to be a GREAT book as well! Unfortunately, it wasn't for me. We'll see what you think!?! ;) I'm reading Luci Swindoll's new one now . . . it's better. Not great, but better. :) Blessings to you!!!
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never read a book by Sheila Walsh before but so enjoyed hearing her speak at the Women of Faith conference last year. I thought I might enjoy her book. Oh well. I just hope I can get it soon because there a few books coming out in March that I really want.

    ReplyDelete