Monday, January 2, 2012

Then Sings My Soul 3



Robert J. Morgan continues to delight us with the stories behind the song. In this last book of the trilogy, Morgan reminds us how hymns inspire our hearts in worship. In learning how these songs came to be, we realize and even deeper worship of God.

Morgan does not think hymns are the only way to worship but that these hymns are part of church history and enrich our worship. He also does not dislike modern songs of praise and worship. There is balance in worship.

Many of the hymns I recognize from my upbringing in a Lutheran church. Others were new to me. The history of the hymns is fascinating and add meaning to the words and notes. My favorite story is about the Warners sisters and the writing of "Jesus Loves Me."

"God created this universe with a capacity for song, from the tiny cricket to the massive Blue Whale, and all creation is designed to sing His praises." Even those of us who are tone deaf and can only make a joyful noise can still appreciate well written music.

Thomas Nelson has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I found your blog through booksneeze (I'm also a booksneeze blogger) and I'd love it if you would consider reviewing an eBook I'm releasing at the beginning of next month, "The Matthew 6:33 Piano Teacher, How to teach piano for the glory of God" It's intended for the christian who is currently or thinking about teaching Music lessons. I'm a fairly new author so I'll take all the reviews I can get : ) If you're interested please e-mail lessonsfromivy at gmail dot com.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete