Friday, December 30, 2011

The Resignation of Eve

As I began reading the book, I got angry. I disagreed with the premise to the book. However, as I continued to read, I was challenged. The author asked the reader to ponder how you got to your beliefs about the role of women in the church instead of trying to defend these beliefs. So I continued to read and was challenged.

I'm not sure I understand the argument that women are not allowed to lead in church. In a Barna survey quoted on page 136, 81% of women agree that their church provides women with the same degree of leadership opportunities that Jesus would give them. So the majority women believe that the church does reflect the teachings of Jesus in regard to the roles women play in the church.

Another theme that Henderson repeats throughout the book is that pastors are threatened by women with the gift of leadership and often prevent women from using that gift in a leadership role. I wonder how many of these pastors would be threatened by men in the church trying to exert their gift of leadership in a way that challenges the pastor's authority. A pastor, as the shepherd to a flock, has to be protective and careful with anyone who wants to challenge authority.

The premise is flawed that "women today are not given access to day to as much influence as they're capable of in the church" (p. xx). Women are given access to every level within the church. So I am left to wonder, are women really leaving the church in large numbers as the book purports?

Tyndale House has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

2 comments:

  1. I'm one of the women in the book... thanks for your honest review. I am looking forward (albeit with some degree of trepidation, ha!) to the dialog that this book may generate. OH. My hubby just brought in the mail.. and my copy is in it! :) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy the book. It was quite thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete