Friday, November 4, 2011

Three Cups



This book is a good tool to use as you teach your children to be responsible with money. It is a read aloud kind of book, but it is also a springboard for discussion as kids learn about money management. I like the visual aid of using 3 cups to keep the money as you watch it grow. I also like the simple way a bank account is explained.

What I did not like is that the giving cup is mentioned last both in the list of where to put the allowance and then in what to do with it. I have taught my children that giving comes first. There is a Biblical basis for this idea as God told the Israelites to celebrate Shavuot where the first fruits of the harvest are to be brought to the temple as a part of worship. However, this book does not refer to the Bible in any way. Even with the giving cup, the child is encouraged to do good but not necessarily because they want to honor God with their money. Like I said, this book is a springboard for further discussion. It is more generic in it's purpose for saving, spending, and giving.

Thomas Nelson has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment