Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Ride of a Lifetime

Whoa, cowboy! That thought crossed my mind while reading this book, but not in a good way. On page 102, a character curses using the s-word. That took me aback, but I tried to overlook it. The word was repeated on page 103 by one of the main characters, and again on page 141 and page 238. Now I am offended. I do not read books from Christian publishers so that I can be exposed to filthy language. My daddy once told me that people who swear do so because they have nothing better to say. It seems to me that the author did not have anything better to say. It's a shame as this book could have been a good book.

I read to be inspired, encouraged, and uplifted. I most enjoy stories where there is a change of heart. There may be some sin in the life of a main character, but in a good book, the sin leads to repentance and a change of heart. I can read these kinds of stories because I know that the bad part of the story was part of the path of redemption. The swear words peppering the story were not necessary, were offensive, and did not add any redeeming quality to the story. For that reason, I cannot recommend this book even though the rest of the story was decent enough.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

5 comments:

  1. I saw this book on Booksneeze and followed the link to your review. Thanks for your honesty! I also do not appreciate foul language in the books I read, so I'm glad I didn't pick up this one.

    Blessings,
    ~Prism~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, you made me laugh out loud today! And then thank God that there are honest Christians out there, like yourself, that aren't afraid to stand up for Scripture! (Ephesians 4:29)
    Have a wonderful day!
    Blessings,
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your encouragement as a reviewer on amazon criticized my review and questioned my "credentials" with Thomas Nelson. Here I thought that reviews were my opinion and I was free to post my opinions on the books I read. My opinion is also backed by truth so I am not going to retrack my review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it is your opinion, and should definitly not be retract. Language is a major component in why I read Christian fiction.
    ~Kimberlee
    www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete