Monday, November 21, 2011

Cliques, Hicks, and Ugly Sticks


As this setting the book is 1984, I would have enjoyed reading this book when I was a girl in junior high. The main character, April Grace, is navigating junior high life as all young girls do. I related to the character and the struggles she faces growing up and trying to fit in. I certainly would have enjoyed reading this book when I was her age.

Also because this book is set in 1984, I do not know if young girls today will relate to the story. The absence of technology (computers, cell phones, apps, etc.) was very noticeable. When April needed to get a hold of her dad, I wondered why she did not just call his cell phone. Then I remember that there were no cell phones in the 80's. So the book is dated, but it is a nice enough story to make it readable and enjoyable.

Thomas Nelson has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment