Friday, September 23, 2011

The Baker's Wife



When I start a new book, I read for understanding. I try to understand who the characters are and what their motivations are. Throughout the book, I question what will happen next or why a character was motivated to act a certain way. By the end of the book my questions are answered and my understanding of the story is complete. This was not true for The Baker's Wife. The end of the story left me with more questions than at the beginning. I am still trying to figure out why everything happened the way it did.

Audrey was once the pastor's wife, but after a falling out with a church elder, she is now the baker's wife. The elder and his family are struggling as is the pastor and his family, but the difference is in their faith. One family is trying to be right while the other is trying to do right. The reader is left trying to figure out who is doing what's right and who is trying to just be right.

The book was a suspense/drama with a little mystery. I wish I understood better why some of the characters never really changed by the end of the story. Still others characters did change, but I was not given enough information as to the character development to truly understand why. I just felt like there were holes throughout the story and the ending had too many loopholes.

Thomas Nelson provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment