Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Stand-Up Guy

The book started out weird. I thought it would get better but instead it got weirder and weirder.

The story is about a young man named Oliver Miles who is trying to earn a living as a stand-up comedian while moonlighting as a security guard at a local hotel. His mom is an alcoholic who was in prison but is now in some sort of hospital. All the drinking with very little eating has ruined her health. With no father, Oliver has a tough home life. Oliver also has a crush on a fellow hotel employee named Mattie who seems to like him too, but she herself has some issues.

That is the storyline. It's weird, and it only got worse as I read. I was hoping for funny, but it's not funny either. I thought the comedy bit would make me laugh, but it only made me feel sorry for this guy. After a while, I just got annoyed because the storyline never progresses and the comedy is not even funny. I guess I just did not get it. Maybe I missed the punchline.

I am surprised that I did not like this book as I usually enjoy the fiction I read from Zondervan. I hope this was just a fluke.

Zondervan has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment