Friday, August 19, 2011

One Call Away

I read First Things First about Kurt Warner last year, and I get to read Brenda Warner's side of story. Her life is fascinating and inspring. She has survived more than her share of heartache, yet has lived her life with strength and honor.

Brenda tells her life story matter-of-factly. She tells it like it is without trying to defend her actions or prove herself to be better than she is. For that reason, the book is refreshingly honest. She has endured loss and heartache. Her life has not been perfect, nor has it been what she planned.

What bothered me was the fact that she and her husband lived together long before they committed to marriage. She professes a Biblical faith but does explain why premarital sex was acceptable in her life. Kurt was the one who was convicted of it when he became a Christian, yet Brenda never offers her point of view about why she was not convicted of this.

That being said, Brenda is an inspiration. She is honest about her life and shares with the reader what she has endured and how she has lived through tough times even admitting that she has made mistakes along the way. It makes her real which is what I admire the most about Brenda. She writes, " I learned not to tell God how to do things. Instead I grew closer to him as I learned to accept that he was in controlm that he loved me, and that I could trust him no matter what happened."

Thomas Nelson has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment