Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It's Your Kid, Not a Gerbil

Kevin Leman is at it again reminding us parents that raising a child is not rocket science. Being busy does not equal a fulfilling life. Sometimes less is more. Kids really just want more time with their parents not more stuff. Mostly the advice is common sense, but sometimes we need a little help making sense of it all.

Even though it was hard to hear, Kevin Leman tells us straight up that we are just too busy. We need stop trying so hard to make everything meaningful. Routine and rituals are meaningful enough. Some of our best childhood memories are not from big events but from an almost meaningless event that thrilled us like no other.

The one thing that hit me hard was that after a negative behavior in my child, I should respond, not react. I have been reacting a lot lately. With encouragement from this book, I see now that responding is a much better response. Yes, pun intended.

Tyndale has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give. You can also visit Tyndale to learn more about this book and enter a chance to win this book for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment