Friday, June 3, 2011

Hungry for God

I was hesitant to read this book. I thought it was another turn-your-hunger-for-food-into-hunger-for-God kind of non-diet book. Then I started reading it, and the format threw me off. The format was not like other printed material where paragraphs are set off by indentation. Instead, it had an Internet format where paragraphs are flush with the left-hand margin and lines are skipped to denote the next paragraph, my like this blog.

So after I got over my first impressions and format issues, I really liked this book. It took my by surprise and challenged me in my relationship with God. Both are good things when you get a little too comfortable in your comfort zone. There were many highlightable lines, but this one especially went right to the core:

As a student, I wanted the right answer only to earn a good grade and move on to something else. Years later I realize the lessons were never really about trains, calculations, or math skills as much as about learning how to think.

I still find myself wanting the right answer especially in my relationship with God. I want Him to just tell me the answer and He wants to engage me in conversation. It takes time and energy to really know God, but Margeret Feinberg reminds us that it is so worth it.

Zondervan has provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment