Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Unsinkable

Abby Sunderland is an amazing young women. I hope I can have her strength and courage when I grow up, and I am in my 30's.

I have to be honest that I did not understand many of the sailing terms that are used throughout the book; however, that did not deter me from enjoying the story. Plus, learning about sailing was fascinating. I never knew how much work went into sailing and how much intestinal fortitude one needs to sail solo.

One preconceived notion I had before reading this book is wondering how much of an education Abby and her siblings could have had while sailing. Then I read about the many places the family visited which taught them more than any book in a classroom. They also had to learn how to sail, how to fix equipment, and how to maintain provisions for 3-4 weeks at sea. It is an wonderful educational experience, and one that I got to experience vicariously through Abby.

Abby is an inspiration.

To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, I must post that Thomas Nelson has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book to review. I also must say that the opinions are all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment