Friday, April 15, 2011

Promises to Keep

Let me first admit that I did not like this book. I wanted to like it and usually enjoy reading Christian fiction, but not this time.

The story is told through Rosalind, an 11 year old girl living in the midwest in the late 1960's. The book opens with her mom leaving her father and moving back home to start her life over. Rosalind as the new girl in town feels lonely until she makes a new friend, Mara. They share a common bond as Mara is also separated from her father. Together, they share the hope that their fathers will come back for them and love them like a daddy.

The book is about 100 pages too long. I trudged through the middle of the book just trying to finish. It felt like the author was just filling up space without any real story development. I wanted to know what happened and was tired of reading about what the characters were thinking especially since the main character was an 11 year old girl. That is another thing that bothered me. Can an 11 year old really process and understand the mature issues that she faced in the book?

The book does have an intense ending. I was not surprised, but it did overwhelm me. The book briefly discusses how God the Father loves us more than any earthly father; however, I would have preferred to see this thread throughout the story and not just at the end.

Bethany House provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for this review which I freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment