Thursday, February 3, 2011

Unshaken

I wanted to read this book because of the inspiring story of a man who survived being trapped under rubble after the earthquake in Haiti. I was inspired by his story, but I was even more inspired by the story of the woman he married.

Dan Wooley was trapped by an earthquake for 65 hours, but his wife, Christy, was trapped in depression for 6 years. I can relate to her story and am encouraged by a shared experience. I fought depression and struggled much like Christy. I like how the book integrated both Dan's struggle and Christy's struggle in parallel form. Together, they endured hardship and struggle, but they were never alone in their struggle. God was and is with them through it all.

I really enjoyed this book and the honest look at struggle in our lives no matter what form it takes. Dan says well that "Earthquakes in our lives shake us - but they can also be used by God." So true, so true.



Zondervan has given me a free copy of this book to review and has given me freedom to state my own opinions about it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diane! Yes, I LOVE to read too . . . it's odd how some books take longer than others. I agree . . . wish we could get them sooner! I haven't been exactly thrilled about the selection this year thus far. ;(
    Hopefully that will improve!
    Glad to be reading along with you sister!
    Blessings,
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete