Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Faith of Ronald Reagan

As a child during the 80's, I remember President Reagan, but I was too young to fully appreciate his work as the leader of the free world. I wanted to read this book to better understand this man and what he did to help end the Cold War. I did gain a deeper appreciation for our 40th president.

One thing that bothered me was the direct connection of events in Reagan's life to the concern that if not this than that would not have happened. If this book is about a man of deep faith who followed the will of God, then God would have made sure that the events were not left up to happenstance. For example on page 92, "And had it not been for that minister who asked Reagan to consider its [communism's] threat, all of Reagan's immense work might not have been accomplished. That is the awe-inspiring power of Providence." I disagree. If it was Providence, God would have intervened in another way to lead Reagan to the immense work he was to accomplish. It is unwise to limit God and think that man's mistake could mess up His plan.

I do appreciate that the events which did have a lasting effect on Reagan's life such as visiting Mount Vernon as a young man and learning how to ride a horse while in the Army. Yet, I have a hard time with direct cause and effect relationships with specific events in life.

Another thing that bothered me was the author seemed to force the issue of faith. She did a good job highlighting the moments in Reagan's life where he depended on his faith; however, she would add her 2 cents by attaching a Bible verse to the event. It felt contrived.

I thought I was reviewing a new book, but this is a reprint of the 2004 book entitled Hand of Providence: The Strong and Quiet Faith of Ronald Reagan. Thomas Nelson has given me a free copy of this book to review and has given me freedom to state my own opinions about it.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! From what you've said it doesn't sound like the best book to read on Ronald Reagan's life. When I get around to reading a book about him, I'll avoid this one and go for something better!

    ReplyDelete