Sunday, October 10, 2010

Transforming Church in Rural America

...breaking all the RURALS.

First of all, you do not need to be in a rural church to appreciate the ideas put forth by Shannon O'Dell. You can be in a huge, suburban church and face some of the same struggles.

I have moved a few times and have been a part of many different churches from many different denominations (Baptist, Lutheran, Protestant, and non-denominational). I could connect with just about everything that was said about big churches vs. small churches.

We have a lot to learn from each other in the body of Christ, and I am glad that Shannon O'Dell was honest enough to share with us what he faced in a rural church. He encourages us to not settle for the status quo but to be inspired to "build people, not organizations" because "if we build organizations, we will end up with buildings and programs that serve only themselves." So simple, yet so profound.


To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, I must post that Thomas Nelson has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book to review. I also must say that the opinions are all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment