Saturday, October 16, 2010

God & Football: Faith and Fanaticism in the SEC

I wonder if all the people I want to read this book will be offended when I tell them they need to read this book. Living with a football fan and enjoying a good game myself means that I can relate to Chad Gibbs and his quest to question the depth of his faith in the midst of football season.

I so appreciate the honesty of the author as he is trying to balance his passion for football and his faith in Christ. Has football become an idol in our lives? Hmmm...I will have spent 6 hours at football games and 1.5 hours in church by the time this weekend is over. How much money am I donating in order to get good season tickets and how much money am I donating to my local soup kitchen to feed the homeless? It does seem that something is not quite right. "I can tell you all day that football isn't that important to me, but my actions speak so loud you'd never hear my words" (p. 218).

Yes, this is a great book even if it makes me uncomfortable when I realize how much of it is true. Whether it's football, or any other hobby, anything that becomes more important than God, is an idol. Yet these idols are empty. Nothing else can love me unconditionally with overwhelming grace like God does.


To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, I must post that Zondervan has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book to review. I also must say that the opinions are all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment