Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Malacca Conspiracy by Don Brown

I enjoy reading books that highlight the postive aspects of the military after spending my time serving my country in the U.S. Army. I also take personal offense in any book that portrays the military inaccurately. This book makes the military look good and the few inaccuracies that I found seem to be used for poetic justice. Yet, it is highly likely that a JAG officer would get to join a SEAL team on a mission no matter how hoo-ah he is.

I also enjoy a good suspense, and this book was full of suspense. In my opinion, it was almost too suspenseful as the writing was choppy and the scenes came at me hard and fast. At first, I thought this would make a good movie, but there were too many characters to follow. I was relieved that the ending did bring some closure to some of the characters, but there were so many more characters that were introduced in a scene and never heard from again.

I agree with some of the reviewers that this book seemed to be a pro-American and anti-Islamic. The book is a work of fiction and is allowed to use themes and ideas as part of the story. Whether I agree with the view is a different story. If someone is not a Christian than reading Christian fiction may be offensive. I found that very little of the story directly pointed to God. There were hints here and there as much as there were parts of the story that showed characters worshipping Allah. Authors are allowed to write from their point of view, and if you don't agree with it, you are free to not read it.



To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, I must post that Zondervan has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book to review. I also must say that the opinions are all mine.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, how do you get books from zondervan to review? Do they have a book review program like booksneeze.com?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they do, but I can't remember how. They do it a little different from what Thomas Nelson does. I found this on their website (www.zondervan.com) under book reviews: Send us your comments about a book by emailing zreview@zondervan.com. You might want to try that and see if that works.

    ReplyDelete