Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Butterfly Effect

I enjoyed the stories of Norman Borlaug and Joshua Chamberlain who both made a huge difference by the good decisions they made. I had never heard of Norman Borlaug before, but Colonel Chamberlain was the focus of a paper I did for military history in college. He turned the tide of not only the Battle of Gettysburg, but also the entire Civil War. He is a hero of mine.

The theory of the butterfly effect is that a flap of a butterfly's wing would set off a chain reaction that results in a hurricane on the other side of the world. An interesting hypothesis, yet one I have a hard time believing.

My challenge to the hypothesis is that both of these men made an important decision during an necessary moment in their lives. It's not the little decisions but the big ones that made a difference. I do agree that every decision matters and that everything I do matters, but I do not see the world altering results in the little decisions I make every day. I see the training of making good decisions in the small things which helps me make good decisions in the big things. So as long as you see this book as an encouragement to keep doing what matters and making good decisions, then I like this book. As long as you look at this book for gospel truth, look first at the Bible which will help you make good decisions.


To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, I must post that Thomas Nelson has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book to review. I also must say that the opinions are all mine.

2 comments:

  1. A HUGE Amen sister! Great review . . . I COMPLETELY agree!
    God bless!
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cherie. I knew we were kindred spirits when I read some of your reviews.

    ReplyDelete