Friday, February 26, 2010

The Clouds Roll Away by Sibella Giorello

I just finished reading this novel today, and I am not sure if I like it or not. I should say there were things I did like. Once the story got going around, I did not want to put it down. I thought I knew who did it, but I was never sure until the very end. I like the suspense and mystery.

What I did not like was the multiple story lines that did not add to the development of the story. Some of the story lines were not tied up at the end of the book which, of course, leaves the reader wanting more. This yearning will hopefully be satisfied in the next book in the series, The Mountains Bow Down. I did not read The Rivers Run Dry which is the first book in the Raleigh Haron series. I think if I had read that first book, I would have a better understanding of the characters in this book.

I do not get the family dynamics of the main character. She talks about the loss of her father multiple times but only mentions her adoption once. Her mother, who lives with her, is either insane or suffering from Alzheimer's, and the daughter does not know what is going on with her mother's mental health. It does not make sense to me. Another oddity is her car. The vehicle called K-Car is mentioned so many times that it sounded like a character in the book, yet a character that does not add anything to the storyline.

I consider myself an avid reader with a decent vocabulary, but the author uses words I have never seen such as sibilant (p. 94), tremulous (p. 95), gibbous (p. 115), and sonorous (p. 115). That was just the first third of the book. After that I stopped trying to understand what the author was saying. The writing is just too verbose.

So overall the book is ok. I am more ambivalent about this book and do not plan to read any more books in this series.


To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, I must post that Thomas Nelson has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment