Saturday, January 16, 2010

Buried Alive by Roy Hallums

As a veteran myself, I was interested in reading this book. I anticipated a fascinating story of survival and rescue.

In order to survive 311 days as a hostage in Iraq, Roy had to stay calm and endure whatever his captures did or did not do to him. His ex-wife says that his is patient and laid back. I think that describes the flow of the book...laid back. It was neither exciting nor was it depressing. It was just easy going throughout.

I expected more drama and action in the story, but it was not that kind of story. The book details Roy's ordeal as best as he can remember. It was interesting but not necessarily exciting.

As far as the Christian content, I was disappointed. The front flap of the book states "Hallum's story is tempered by his faith." However, there is only one acknowledgement of God throughout his entire 311 days of captivity. I would have thought his faith would play a bigger role in his survival. I guess I was wrong.


*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment